Tuesday, November 5, 2013

the things that confound us...

Scott here, adding my occasional two cents.  This time, actually, you get two stories, each only worth one cent.  So that makes two I guess. 

First Cent

Those of you have read our blog for any length of time know the great amusement we glean from everyday events that just confound us.  Like how today I brought Zeke to school only to be told it was a public holiday and the school was closed.  No schedule, no notes home, no mention of it from the teachers yesterday despite the fact that we interacted for several minutes!

 In our last newsletter update I talked about the privilege of visiting a several-thousand-year-old village with a student-friend of ours.  He drove, did the asking of locals near the site, and was convinced we found it.  It looked old!  We found broken pieces of pottery that looked like pictures we found online.  The geography, the grid of ruined house foundations, everything seemed right.  The site was excavated in the 1950’s, and relatively unknown even to locals.  It is still largely unspoiled.  A teammate and I, along with our local friend, took tons of pictures to corroborate our find!  You can tell where this is going…

A few weeks later I wanted to show another American friend the spot.  Word spread and soon we were 20 foreigners in 3 trucks headed to the site.  (I had forgotten it was a religious holiday in which people visit the graves of family members; our dirt road took us right through a cemetery.  Talk about sticking out like a sore thumb.)  Because we had no local with us, I thought it best to make contact with the villagers living at the site.  2 families have rebuilt houses right on the old ruins!  This way they wouldn’t call the cops on our sizeable group.  The family was very friendly, even offering, insistently if not insincerely, to have us stay for dinner (it was 2pm).  As the group spread through the site, taking pictures, in wonderment of the history upon which they were treading, I talked with the teenage son of the village family…

“This is amazing that you live here.”  “Yes, I know.” “This place is very old.  Why did your family build here?”  “We always lived here.” “Really?  What about in the 50’s when the guy came to do the dig?”  “What guy? You mean the one who dug up X?”  “Yes.”  “He worked over there.” (points finger far away)  “You mean this isn’t X?”  “No, this is Y.”  “Then what’s with the ruins?”  “In the 1980’s the dictator’s army destroyed our village.”

Talk about jolting your historical epochal context!  Houses here have been built largely the same way for thousands of years (we even saw an old-fashioned, Old Testament-style threshing floor!) and with the systematic destruction of villages in the 1980’s, it was nigh on impossible to tell the difference.  As the group gathered back in, I told them about the mix-up, and none were disappointed.  It was an honor to experience the kindness of a family that firsthand endured the devastation of recent history.

Second Cent

Katie’s birthday is October 31.  You know how you project your own expectations for these sort of things?  I hate hoopla for my birthday. I love a quiet day with my family, without much work, and a piece of cake for dessert.  So naturally that is what everyone else wants, right?  I readily admit I have been a slow learner.  I STINK at planning ahead for birthdays.  Last year for the big 3-0 her mom and I put together a roller rink throwback party with friends and family.  Preparing nearly killed me.  (Already said it, I STINK at this sort of thing.  But you should have seen me 8 years ago!)

This year I knew a party was going to be impractical, so I thought I better get it done with a tremendous present to show her that I listened to her hints.  (I provide Katie a written wish list by April 1 every year.  My birthday is in June.)   At a local department store they’ve brought in these neat Chinese footbaths, like a spa for your feet.  Given the dry dusty climate we have Katie thought that would be a nice way to relax.  So, back in late summer I wrote that note down and in early October bought one.  I even got it on sale so it was close to our budget.  I hid it in the garage, quite proud of myself.  On the morning of her birthday last week, with great pomp I presented the box to her.  She opened it up, and voila!  There were 50 brand-new kitchen knives in the box.  That explained the weight of the box.  I figured I had to exchange it at once before Katie found a use for those 50 knives!


Lesson learned.  Next time you buy that boxed up barbeque grill off the shelf at Home Depot, open the box to make what the outside pictures is actually on the inside, and not filled with door handles or Christmas lights.  (By the by, the store clerks were embarrassed and replaced it; that gracious act itself completely surprised me.  AND the footbath is really relaxing.  In the end I think I still nailed it.) 

No comments: