Sometimes I do sort of a mental "double-take" at my life. So much has changed in the last year and a half and we have learned so much in the interim. Yesterday was sort of a crazy day for us. It started out with basic plans to do some studying and the normal routine stuff of daily life. While we were studying we got a call at about noon asking where we were. Several days before this I had made plans to visit a friend of mine that morning, but her husband had called the night before and told Scott that she was sick. So that morning I had sent here a text wishing her better and saying that I would try and see her later in the week. Well, long story short, we had a big misunderstaning with the whole thing and not only was our family supposed to be at their house, but they were making us lunch! So we packed up our books, picked up Zeke and rushed over there. We had a wonderful visit and lunch. This is a family we have really begun to connect with, both Scott and I, with our respective genders. Plus they have two boys that, although are older than Zeke, he looks forward to playing with. So we got home and received another call. Confirmation of plans that we had loosely made the week before to have a family over to our house for dinner. So I kicked it into gear and got some chicken roasting in the oven as well as a stew (which is a staple in meals here) on the stove. About an hour into the dinner making process I was pretty proud of myself! I had three things being prepared as well as the last few items prepped in anticipation of the family arriving within that next hour. Well, as often happens this time of year, the family called us and said they wouldn't be coming after all because one member was sick! So I have all this food cooking for a group of approximately 8 and only 3 of us to feed! Amazingly I didn't get irritated like I might have in the past...I just started going through a mental list of who might be hungry and without someone to cook for them! From this family our one friend did end up coming and we ended up inviting another man who is on his own here. So, we had ourselves a group of 5 and plans to send the leftovers home to our friend's sick family. As if this all wasn't crazy enough, just as dinner was finishing up the electric went out. We have had really terrible electric these days, but have been grateful for atleast having it in the evening so that we aren't sitting in the dark. However, after a few minutes without having it return we realized it would be an hours wait until our neighborhood generator kicked in. So, with the quick lighting of some candles and a group effort of holding a flashlight over the chicken while we carved it, we were able to get dinner all on the table. So we had a lovely dinner over candelight and enjoyed a nice evening with friends. Also, on a humorous note, Zeke has really adapted to this culture well. Everytime we have a visit he asks for tea after we've eaten our meal, which is an expected part of every visit. So below I have included a picture of him enjoying his own little personal cup of "cha" as they call it here. So the moral of this whole story is, I suppose, to not get all worked up when life throws challenges your way, but to go with it and see what God has in store for you. This evening was certainly one that will stick out in my memory above others!

No comments:
Post a Comment